To Heung! To dance! To Cheonan!
First held in 2003 and celebrating its 19th edition this year, the Cheonan Heungtaryeong Festival is organized by the Cheonan Cultural Foundation, an organization established by Cheonan City, Chungcheongnam-do, and held at the Cheonan Sports Complex as a cultural and tourism festival.
The Cheonan Heungtaryeong Festival offers visitors exciting experiences and memories with exciting attractions such as a huge parade through the center of the city and an international dance competition where you can watch dances from all over the world in one place.
By incorporating Cheonan's Heungtaryeong folk songs with a modern sensibility, the festival creates a place for inspiration, emotion, and harmony through various dances and music. Major events include the opening ceremony, closing ceremony, award ceremony, national dance competition, side competitions, Korea International Contemporary Dance Competition, masquerade dance, special invitation performances, and fireworks.
Fireworks display and more, the festival will be held for five days, starting with the opening ceremony on October 5 and ending with the closing ceremony on October 9.
Last year's 2022 event, which was held as a face-to-face event for the first time in three years, was both successful and satisfactory, and the results were announced.
This year's National Dance Competition will be held in six categories, with a total prize fund of 150 million won. This year, the National Dance Competition newly introduced the Heungta Division, which can only be participated in by people over 51 years old, and covers all ages from children to middle-aged people.
In 2023, 15 countries will participate in the International Dance Competitio
Team name: KONGTHOG
Implement new creations that combine music and Thai dance.
It incorporates various Thai cultures from the North, Northeast, South, and Central regions of Thailand, giving it a more modern and energetic feel than traditional Thai folk dance.
It embodies the three traditional Thai Muay Thai dance styles (WAI, KHRU, MUAI, KHITA MUAI, and NATHAMUAI THAI).
-Participated in the 2019 Cheonan Heungtaryeong Festival
Costa Rica Team:
Team Name: COMPANIA DE MUSICA Y DANZAINSPIRACIONES COSTARRICENSES
- Founded: 2006
- Costa Rica's leading folkloric dance troupe composed of renowned Costa Rican musicians and young dancers.
- Performs to a musical orchestra and has participated in many folkloric dance festivals abroad Choreography features contemporary interpretations of traditional Costa Rican dances and music with creative twists
- Danced by couples, holding each other's hands and spinning in time to the music...
Team name: FrIke ensamble Povazan
- Founded: 1954
- The oldest traditional folk dance troupe in Slovakia
Winner of the gold medal at the National Folk Dance Competition in 2022, the troupe is active not only domestically but also internationally in the U.S., Algeria, Poland, etc.
-Their choreography is a modern interpretation and recreation of traditional Slovak folk music.
- Dancers usually dance in pairs, standing in a line, holding hands, and characterized by relaxed movements and turns. Traditional dances are practiced in Slovaki.
South Africa Team
Team Name : Kangaroo Zulu Folk Dance Ensemble
- Participated in the World Folk Festival 2022
- A folk dance organization based on Zulu culture and tradition, a traditional South African song.
- Using movement, rhythm, and musical elements to experience and modernize Zulu culture and traditions
- Committed to promoting the region's unique traditional dances through culture and arts, including periodic visits to schools to teach traditional dance.
- Performs energetic and dynamic dances, with strong energy and rhythm in their steps and body movements. Features succulents that represent the culture and identity of the Zulu tribe
Team Name : Flor Ribeirinha
- Gold Medal at Cheonan Heungtaryeong Dance Festival 2016
- Gold Medal at the 18th Tourkiye Vučekmeze Festival
- Features colorful costumes and dynamic choreography and music, with a particular focus on recreating a traditional Brazilian dance called "Muran Blackneck
- A traditional dance passed down among peasants in the Midwestern state of Matungrosso, reflecting the cultural characteristics of the region with its energetic and rhythmic style. It is a particularly colorful and energetic dance that captures the audience's attention and is characterized by hip and waist movements, a variety of movements, and a Chinese style.
Team Name : Lithuanian traditional and royal dance group GOJUS
- Founded : 1991
- Based on the concept of Lithuania in the 19th century, the group presents performances that symbolize Lithuanian traditional costumes and culture.
- Performances related to the Lithuanian royal family, featuring special costumes and graceful movements that give a glimpse of the royal family.
- Composed of a group of dancers who have come together to preserve their unique ethnicity in a rapidly changing modern society.
- Danced in narrow rows or side-by-side in a circle, with an emphasis on synchronized movement; dancers move their legs and arms gracefully to create natural, circular movements
Team Name: Sang and Dance Ensamble ZEMA BYDGOSKA
- Founded : 1958
- The oldest and largest folk dance company and public interest organization in Poland
- Playing a leading role in promoting Polish art and regional folk dance culture, it aims to maintain the identity of national traditions and develop national and civic awareness.
- Consists of approximately 150+ dancers and participates in various international artistic events and festivals on behalf of the region.
Team Name: BALLET FOLKLORICO LACTAPI JATARISHU
- Founded: 2007
- Participated in many national folk dance festivals in Peru, Brazil, Chile, etc.
- Founded by a group of young dancers to maintain Ecuadorian traditions and history.
-LLACTAT IATARISHU means "our song and dance" and features choreography that emphasizes teamwork and is emblematic of Hispanic culture. The dance is influenced by African and Indian cultures, especially African rhythms and movements.
Team Name: Luna Rhythm Dance Troupe
- Founded: 2007
- Performs traditional Taiwanese folk dance with a modern dance twist and is characterized by technically sophisticated movement, expression, and rhythm.
- Participated in various international artistic and cultural exchanges, including participation in festivals in Indonesia, Northern Cyprus, Italy, etc.
- Characterized by technically sophisticated movements, expressiveness, and rhythm; often involving kinetic and intense movements, as well as representations of alumni movements and natural phenomena.
Czech Republic Team
Team name: Ensemble on songs and dances Bzencan
. Founded: 2015.
- Representative of traditional Czech folk dance, performing in semi-traditional post-19th century costumes.
- Characterized by the use of various Czech folk music instruments and musical styles
- Participates in more than 15 different international and regional festivals each year, and is an active cultural organization
- Performs in a circular or straight line in a rounded space and includes a variety of spins, jumping turns, and other movements
Team Name: Bayanihan National Dance Company of the Philippines
- Founded: 1956
- Winner of 14 grand prizes at world dance competitions
- First foreign dance company to perform outside the United States at Lincoln Center in New York City
- Known for telling Filipino stories and showcasing Filipino beauty through dance
- Performed the Tura, the most famous traditional dance of the Philippines.
- Dancers perform the dance using two bamboo sticks, with two people jumping between the sticks.
- The dance is known for its hand and foot coordination and speed, and is an iconic part of Philippine culture
Team name: "Akku" and Arqa Sazy"
- Founded: 1993
- Using traditional instruments, "Akku" stands for the concise and colorful sound of solo music, while "Arqa Sazy" is characterized by harmonious ensembles
- Participated in the International Folklore Festival (Shaby) and won in recognition of its high level of skill.
- It usually consists of musicians and dancers performing together, with the dancers swaying, jumping or spinning to the music. Displaying traditional Kazakh attire and jewelry in the process
Team Name: UTP PERFORMING ARTS GROUP
- Established: 2002
- Actively implementing original cultural arts through various performances and competitions from the undergraduate level to the international level.
- Performed not only domestically but also in international competitions in the UK, Korea, China, Taiwan, etc.
- Won 3rd prize in International Dance Competition and 2nd prize in Street Dance Parade at Cheonan Heungtaryeong Dance Festival in 2018.
- Participated in the World Festival of Colors (FESCO) in 2017 and won the first prize in the international category.